Natural Areas Attendant
Are you passionate about nature? Embark on a hands-on career that helps preserve conservation areas across the City's natural areas!
About the role:
This full-time, permanent position reports to the Leading Hand - Natural Areas, and is responsible for maintaining conservation areas and working with community groups and other stakeholders to deliver conservation services for Council properties, including parks and reserves. This role is perfect for those that are passionate about nature, enjoy being active and working outdoors!
In this role, you will undertake duties such as:
- Environmental restoration activities such as weed management, re-vegetation, seed collection, erosion control and general reserve maintenance such as Phytophthora Dieback control, rubbish removal, fence repair, feral pest control and regular inspections of reserves
- Implementing the natural areas annual works program and projects, and working with community groups and contract labour
- Liaising with Council staff and contractors (spray and tree pruning) and ensuring community education through daily contact with park users, residents and school planting days.
Skills & Experience:
- Plant identification, weed management and revegetation skills and experience
- Physical stamina and the ability to perform manual labour in various weather conditions
- Able to operate and maintain small plant, including herbicide spray equipment and hand tools
- Knowledge of health & safety issues relevant to natural area operations
- Current manual ‘MR' Class Driver's licence, or willingness to obtain
- Satisfactory National Police Clearance (under six months)
- Flexibility - willingness to work weekends and after-hours, as required e.g. on community planting days and events
- Full-time permanent position, 76 hours per fortnight
- 9 day fortnight
- Opportunity to work overtime (penalty rates apply)
- Free gym and pool membership to both Cannington & Riverton Leisure Centres
- $65,138.84 per annum + super ($1,252.67 per week / $32.97 per hour) as of 1 July 2023
Impact the Community in a Big Way!
The City of Canning aims to be a welcoming and thriving city, giving our people an opportunity to thrive through work that truly makes a difference! With a population of over 90,000 over 64 square km of land, we provide services to support and develop our community every day. We believe that engaging people with diverse backgrounds and all abilities will assist in delivering superior services to our community and are committed to the principles of equal opportunity for all.
City of Canning is proud of our Culture of Care which means caring for ourselves, our workmates and our community.
Canning welcomes you to apply:
Click APPLY or contact Reuben Thom on 0409 328 761 for a confidential discussion. Reference 167-2223 and visit our website www.careers.canning.wa.gov.au for more information about the role.
Applications are open until 5pm 8 June 2023. We reserve the right to contact applicants and close the advertising early.